Grapefruits should form a vital part of everyone’s diet. They have many properties that are beneficial and important to health.
- Nutrients provided by grapefruits prevent the oxidation of the so-called bad cholesterol (LDL) responsible for sclerotic lesions in the circulatory system. Bitter white membranes which are often removed are actually most effective in this respect.
- Grapefruits help to maintain normal blood glucose level. A diet high in this fruit is recommended in diabetes prevention (healthy lifestyle that assists in keeping in good health).
- Naringenin and pectin found in grapefruits improve metabolism and speed up digestion. This is particularly important for those who want to lose weight.
- Grapefruit pulp contains acids speeding up urination, thus playing a key role in normal functioning of the urinary system and kidneys. It also helps to clean the intestines of undigested food and toxins.
- Substances contained in grapefruit seeds, membranes and pulp show antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral activity. They fight about 800 types of viruses and bacteria and about 100 types of pathogenic fungi.